Friday 21 January 2011

Chapter 10 - Gen 1 - Faith

We drove up the road in silence. Thankfully it was not too far, but I really did not know what to say to him and how I am going to tell him about the girls after all this time - he was going to hate me for hiding them from him and I wouldn't blame him either!!.
"Before we go in I need to ask you something - how long have you been in town?"
"Only a few days, why?"
How do you know Taylor?"
" I don't really, first time I have met her today - her hair - it shocked me - she was running down the road and I stopped her - then you turned up"
"That's ok then" I was pretty relieved
"Who is she,she has your hair"
"She is my daughter"
" So I am too late" Toby said
"Too late for what?"
"Well, obviously you have moved on I take it you are married  with kids -  and from the age of Taylor I would say you moved on pretty quickly and forgot all about me, and you never even stopped around for an explanation!!"
"Yes I am married and I have four children - and what explanation was there other than you were cheating with my sister of all people - and no, I did not forget about you, not for one day!!"
"Except that I wasn't cheating not even with your sister, I was more shocked at what she was doing than you were, She blamed you for Frannys death, said you should have done something to save her, she wanted to see you suffer like she was suffering - but it looks like I am the only one who has actually suffered in all of this."
"And you don't think I haven't?? I lost everything, my family, friends, you"
"That was your choice Faith - you were the one who ran off in the middle of the night"
"Yes, but I had good reason" I said
"That was definitely no reason to run out on me -  your Mom, your Dad, do you know how upset your Dad was, and still is - Felix did you ever think for one minute about what this would do to your brother - did you lose your senses or were you just being plain selfish, because none of us could quite understand it??"
"There were other things going on, that you don't know about - it was just easier for me to leave rather than face them"
"Tell me, what other things, if something was troubling you why didn't you talk to me"
"Things that you don't need to know about - Talk to you - talk to you when I think you are cheating on me with my own sister - I really was going to talk to you wasn't I!!!"
"I have told you, I was not cheating on you!!  It was Fiona being a bitch, that's what she wanted you to think - you played right into her hands, I think she is the only person who has not been upset by your disappearance."
"You said earlier that you had not seen her since, so how do you know all this?"
"I haven't, but your dad has, he told me - I talk to your Dad all the time."
"Look I need to tell you something and try to explain things" I said nervously
"Go on then - I'm listening"
"I found out some things, about my family, that kind of burst my bubble, I believed my family was one thing, but it wasn't it was all lies, and I could not live with watching the lies being acted out everyday, it was tearing me apart.  Then I walked in to see you and Fiona - my head went and I knew I had to get away - I could not trust anybody, not even you.  I had thought about getting away before and taking you with me, but when I saw you and Fiona, I decided to go alone,  that's why I left in the middle of the night so nobody could stop me and talk me out of going"
"What lies about your family you are not making any sense"
"Look Dean told me some things, I forced him to tell me and I wish I had not pushed him too.  Things about my Grandparents, and my Mom,   It might look all nice and rosy but it isn't -  I could not live there keeping their secrets for them.  So I left and I did not know where I was going - I just wanted to be as far away from everyone that I could get.  I ended up here where I planned to start my life over - but it didn't quite work out the way I had planned"
"Well,  you don't look like you  have done too badly for yourself"
Toby said looking around him
"I have only been married a few years, you know, I was alone up until I met Lee.  We had twin boys not long after we were married, they are still only Toddlers"
"You said you had four kids" Toby said looking confused
"Yes, Taylor and Dawn, twin girls, they had their birthday only a few days ago, their Dad not being around, I brought them up on my own, and that is why I was alone."
He had this disgusted look on his face - I can imagine what he was thinking
"You don't get it do you Toby"
"Get what?"
"I was pregnant when I left Wishacy Bay but I did not know at the time, I found out I was pregnant the first day I arrived in this town."
" I am sorry I never told you Toby but, Taylor and Dawn - you are their Dad"
He stood there just staring at me, with this blank shocked look on his face, I was too scared to say anything else, I could not imagine what was going on in his head.  I stood there for what felt like an eternity just waiting for some sort of reaction from him.
Then he exploded with rage
"HOW COULD YOU - how could you do this to me!!!"
"You have to be the most selfish person I know - first you run away not caring what you are doing to all those back home that love you - AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!!"
"You had no right to keep them from me - You should have told me!!!"
He stopped yelling at me when he could see Taylor coming in our direction
"Mom, what's going on - why is he shouting at you?" Taylor must have heard Toby shouting and came to see what was going on.
"Taylor go find you sister, I need to speak to you both, in the livingroom please"
"Should I fetch Lee?"
"No, I am fine,  just find Dawn and hurry!"
When he was sure Taylor was out of earshot
"And what have you told them about me - that I am some b***** that dumped you and did not want to know them - hey Faith????"
"No, I told them the truth, that you did not know they existed, that I never told you I was pregnant - it is me they are angry with not you"
"WHY - all these years have gone by, why have you never told me??"
"I am sorry, I don't know, as the years went by it just got harder for me to do it"
The girls made their way into the livingroom looking a little confused and nervous.
"Have you done something?" Dawn asked Taylor
"No - you?"
"No - who's the guy?"
"I need you two to sit down, I need to talk to you both about something"
Toby sat down next to them.  I then had to explain to the girls that this was their Dad, and he was pretty shocked at the moment because I had only just told him that he was their Dad and yes, it is all my fault, I was selfish blah blah blah.  The girls were pretty quiet, they were shocked of course, and they spent most of the time just staring at Toby, like he kept staring at them.
Taylor had spoken to him earlier, not knowing who he was at the time, but Dawn just stood in front of him staring at him, it must have been a little too much for her because she never said a word but just started to freak out.
Toby started laughing
"Dawn.... she is....."
"Neurotic - you forget I lived with Felix for a while"
I had forgotten my brother had the same trait as Dawn.
I told the girls to go to bed, it was getting late and they could see their Dad tomorrow when the three of them had gotten over the shock!!  Which left me and Toby alone again.  He automatically pulled me into his arms, and held me there for quite a while.  This was so going to complicate things, because all the feelings I used to feel returned and I knew I had not stopped loving him for one minute.
"Please don't do that again Toby"
"What?" he looked confused
"Hug me like that, you can not do it again - I am married remember"
"How could I forget" he said sarcastically
"Well I am happy and I don't need you messing things up for me!!"
"But I love you, I .........."
"I know, and I am sorry, but I am married to Lee and that is how it is going to stay, you can see the girls, but me, if you can not be just my friend, then I will have to ask you to keep away from me altogether!!"
"I dont think I can be around you and just be friends"
"Well you have done it before, I am sure you can do it again, its either that or go back to Wishacy Bay"
"That really is not fair Faith - how can I leave now when you have just told me I have children here, do you expect me to leave them - no chance!!"
"Well I am sorry that is the way it has got to be!!"
And I meant it!!!!!

------------------------------------
Chapter 11
-------------------------------------


2 comments:

  1. wow, this just became a mess, didn't it! I hope Toby can be a part of his daughter's lives without interfering with Faith's life too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree somewhat with Toby. He should have been told and Faith is a little selfish. What a mess!

    ReplyDelete