Wednesday 17 August 2011

Chapter 9 - Gen 14 - Devon

"Guess what - you are going to be a grandad"
"Really!!!!  That's great, I am so releaved I would have felt guilty if it turned out that you couldn't have kids."
"Its not your fault - you did a great job Doc!!"


"Mom what is all the fuss about, Cathleen is only having a baby, anyone would think it had never been done before!!"
"She didn't know if she could have children after her illness, so obviously they are excited, it will die down soon enough when the baby is keeping them up at night!!"
"Keeping us all up you mean!!"


Devlin and Patches are still joined at the lips, it does not look like that relationship will be fizzling out anytime soon!!


Patches had settled in and was just like one of the family, she got on with everyone, and she is now like a little sister to me but I imagine the way by the way that Devlin and Patches are together one day she is going to be my sister in law.


We didn't tell anyone about the baby bump being twins, but it didn't take Dad long to spot it when he checked to see what the sex of the baby was.

"Its a girl."
"I think I know why your laughing"
"You do?
"So are they both girls"
"Yes they are, so they told you it was twins then."
"Yes."


Work for me was going ok, I have only had one promotion since I started.  I am getting close to mastering the guitar and my piano playing was coming on in leaps and bounds.






It is always pretty interesting coming out of work in an evening there is always plenty of people milling around.  Tonight I spotted Bradley who is now a teenager.  Bradley and Devlin don't hang out together so much these days because Devlin is way too busy with Patches.





He was with his Mom, Melodie.  It surprised me to see how old Melodie was not looking and it reminded me that it was Dad's elderly birthday today.


Being at work of course I missed Dads birthday





It is pretty strange for me to now watch my two elderly parents together, it reminds of how my own life is galloping towards me becoming a mature adult.  Dad is struggling with his new elderly appearance just as much as my Mom did, and now it is my Mom's turn to reassure him that everything is ok.


I had just gone to bed when I was woken by a commotion on the landing.  Cathleen had gone into labour - the babies were on there way.


I took her to the hospital but froze outside the front doors, while Cathleen went in to have the babies I stood outside waiting.  She will probably be pretty mad with me when she comes out later!!!!


So I was very surprised when she came out of the hospital having absolute hysterics at me.

"You big chicken!!"
"Sorry I don't know what came over me, I froze, where is the other baby?"
"The nurse has her inside waiting for you to pick her up."


Maylee came first, she is Virtuoso and Neurotic.
Mallory arrived half an hour later, she is Artistic and Friendly.


Cathleen who was absolutely exhausted went off to bed and left me to cope with the twin who started crying not long after we arrived home and had not stopped yet.


Dad came to the rescue and it took us quite a while to settle them down.


"Looks like they are a pair of squeallers"
"I don't remember Devlin crying this much."
"He didn't, its probably because there is two, I remember Crystal and Chantilly used to set each other off, when one squeals the other one joins in."
From then on the twins were pretty much a nightmare and hardly stopped crying.


Isn't it funny how my Grandparents ghosts always seem to appear when there is something going on in the house.  I was not surprised when the night the twins were born my Grandad Wesley came out and took a look at the babies.  Dad made me laugh, he already had pictures of the twins in his wallet and was quick to whip them out and start boasting about his grandchildren to his Dad's ghost.



Devlin and Patches birthday soon came around.  I could not believe that my little brother was becoming a young adult already.



Still joined at the lips and its inevitable that they head straight off to the bedroom together.


It is graduation day and we all head off to the town hall including the twins as my parents insisted they came with us instead of leaving them at home with a baby sitter like we had intended.  Thankfully neither of them cried during the graduation ceremony.


The twins had their birthday

Maylee was first she turned out to be a little mini me with my hair and eye colouring





next Mallory and she had my Mothers hair colouring and my eye colouring.


Bedtime became a total nightmare.  We struggled to work out why they did it but they were dead tierd and in their cribs and still screamed the house down and wouldn't sleep.

"Devon we can't just leave them screaming."
"We have tried everything what else can we do?"
"There screams are going through me."
"I know, just stand there and pretend you are ignoring them."


We tried picking them up - they screamed - put them back in the crib - they screamed - we even tried to read them to sleep, they looked interested for a few minutes than started screaming again.





"Thats one down - see Maylee is out for the count."
"Well she is not going to sleep for very long the way Mallory is screaming."
"Ignore her Cathleen she will drop off in a minute/"





"I can't stand it!!"
"I know, but I don't know what else we can do."
"She's gone quiet what is she doing?"
"She is watching us, I can see two little beady eyes looking through the bars."
"AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"
We thought she was just about to drop of when Mallory starts screaming again because Devlin had just walked into the room.


"Can't you shut that brat up she is giving me a headache!!"
"Devlin leave her - she will drop off in a minute."
"How can you just stand there and let her scream."
"NO DEVLIN - aaaaaawwwwwwwww we didn't want you to pick her up."


"Shes nearly as red as me from all this screaming."
"You should have left her - now you have done it."
"Look shes fine now all she wanted was for you to pick her up."




"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"
"You were saying Devlin???"
"Oh heck - how do I shut her up?"
"I'll tell you what Devlin you work it out, because I'll be damned if I can"
"Devon ..."
"Come on Cathleen, Devlins getting Mallory to sleep."
"Thats not fair."
"You started her off again - you deal with it."


About half an hour letter Devlin came out of the babies room holding his head.  Mallory had finally gone to sleep.
"I'll get you for that!!"
"Thanks Devlin."


During the daytime they were as good as gold  They were quiet and no trouble they just saved it all till bedtime.


We were all at work except for Dad, he said he was on his way out to tidy up the pile of old newspapers off the front when he spotted a little girl standing there looking lost.


"Hello little girl, shouldn't you be at school."
"I should yes, but I am looking for someone."
"So who are you looking for maybe I could help you find them."
"Do you live here?"


"Yes I do live here.  Does your Mom know you are here instead of at school?"
"No and you can't tell her she will go mad at me for even being here!!"
"So what is your name little girl?"
"Bree"
"Bree, well maybe I should help you find who you are looking for so we can get you off to school or back home you really should not be wandering around the town if your parents don't know where you are!!"


"So are you going to tell me who you are looking for Bree"
"Yes I am looking for my Dad,"
"And what is your Dads name?"
"Devon Swan, he lives here doesn't he."





"You had better come in and we'll see if we can find him"



--------------
Chapter 10
--------------

Checking the family tree, like I do from time to time, to see what Devon's siblings and relatives are getting up to - I HAD THE SHOCK OF MY LIFE!!!!!  It was just after the the twins had been born and it showed a toddler on the tree infront of the twins.  When I checked it showed that Devon and Tracey have a daughter called Bree.    In my plan not to have a 15th generation - like I said the game was not letting that happen!!  Devon only did woohoo with Tracey they did not try for a baby so was shocked to find there was one.  If there was a pop up telling me when she was born I did not see it. Now I know why Tracey suddenly stopped coming when they phoned for repairs and the repairman changed - because she was having a baby.  Bree has turned out to be a little Devon clone too - they look so alike when she grows up its spooky.  So Generation 15 is here wether I like it or not!!

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I knew it, Tracey was pregnant. Devlin and Patches are cute together and he does favor Cherry. Can't wait to see how Devon is going to explain this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I hope Cathleen doesn't freak out too badly over Bree!
    And all three kids are way cute!

    ReplyDelete